Spectrum is signed up to the Mindful Employer Charter. This means we are positive about mental health and will work to provide employees with easier access to information and practical support if they experience stress, anxiety, depression or other mental health conditions.
As an employer we:
- aim to show a positive and enabling attitude to employees and job applicants with mental health issues. This will include positive statements in local recruitment literature.
- aim to ensure that all staff involved in recruitment and selection are briefed on mental health issues and the Disability Discrimination Act, and given appropriate interview skills.
- aim to make it clear, in any recruitment or occupational healthcheck, that people who have experienced mental health issues will not be discriminated against and that disclosure of a mental health issue will enable both employee and employer to assess and provide the right level of support or adjustment.
- aim to not make assumptions that a person with a mental health issue will be more vulnerable to workplace stress or take more time off than any other employee or job applicant.
- aim to provide non-judgemental and proactive support to individual staff who experience mental health issues.
- aim to ensure all line managers have information and training about managing mental health in the workplace.
- recognise that people who have mental health issues may have experienced discrimination in recruitment and selection procedures. This may discourage them from seeking employment.
- recognise that whilst some people will acknowledge their experience of mental health issues in a frank and open way, others fear that stigma will jeopardise their chances of getting a job.
- recognise that, given appropriate support, the vast majority of people who have experienced mental ill health continue to work successfully as do many with ongoing issues.